Friday, July 30, 2010

Is it true that only 1% of Highschool relationships turn into marriage?

What is the average number of relationships per teenager per year?Is it true that only 1% of Highschool relationships turn into marriage?
I really don't know the percentage, all I know is my own experience with it. My daughter started dating her high school bf when she was 16, he was 17. When she turned 18 (in February) she moved in with him. (He rents a house from his mom. His mom doesn't live there) They both graduated in May and got married in July. She was just over here tonight and they are having problems already. There isn't a problem with how they feel about each other. They are still head over heels in love. Its just the daily living, bills, jobs, spending time with friends, etc. She has discovered that he is controlling with money. He doesn't like the fact that when she has the day off work and he doesn't that she doesn't just sit around the house all day and that she has a life. He had a car before they were married, bought another car and then sold his first car to her. Its a junky car and she only is paying him like 400.00 but she still owes around 50.00 to him. He got mad at her tonight when he found out she was here visiting us and her siblings because she didn't ask permission to use ';his'; car. I don't agree with him making her buy it in the first place but it's even worse that she has it almost paid off and he is acting like this. Like I said, I know he loves her but he is only 19 and I am sure the pressure of being married and him being responsible for another human being is finally kicking in and he is getting stressed about it. She isn't a ';high maintenance'; girl. She works for what she needs. She loves him and is faithful to him. She is absolutely beautiful and sweet and kind. The whole issue is that they are both so young that they haven't figured out how to live their own lives yet let alone share it with someone else. I tried so hard to get them to wait a year or two. Told them both that they are both going to go through a lot of mental and emotional changes in the next few years and that what they want right now might very well change. I asked them to just give themselves time to really get to know each other, as adults, as well as themselves.


I hope that they will both be strong enough to understand that marriage takes a lot of work and sacrifice and is anything but easy. I also hope that he understands that what he is doing is not only breaking her heart but it is putting a wedge between them that is going to be very hard to fix. I am just afraid that he is too young to realize anything before it's too late. She will put up with a lot. She will do her best to work everything out but (just like her mom) when she is done, she's done. I have a lot of hope that this will work out but the reality of it is that it won't. I personally believe that the legal age to marry should be raised to 21. I mean you can't drink alcohol until then, why in the world would getting married before 21 be any different? The drinking age has to do with maturity level, right? So why let an 18 make the decision to make a decision that affects their entire life when they can't even drink a beer while contemplating it? DOesn't make any sense at all to me.Is it true that only 1% of Highschool relationships turn into marriage?
I met my guy in highschool. We were 17. 4 kids later a dog and couple trips to disney. we do ok. ;o) He's my friend for life! We have grown together
it depends on the couple i know one person whos been with his gf since the 7th grade and now there 20 and there still madly in love with each other they went to the same high school too ofcourse
1% is probably generous. Then look at the percentage of how many of those end up in divorce... you're doomed,... DOOMED I tell ye'
i recently got back together with my junior high/high school/some college love after not speaking for 3 years.... you never know what's going to happen, it can work. we are still madly in love.
not evennnn!, its really rare

No comments:

Post a Comment